Saturday 12 July 2008

The perils of liking Razorlight and other uncool music

Music, for all it's freewheeling, libertarian image can be a rather narrow-minded, parochial business at times.  Certain music is deemed 'cool' and certain music isn't.  If you don't understand what I mean, try telling a scruffy haired, N.M.E. reading, indie kid that you have a penchant for Celine Dion.  See?

It can be a treacherous and sometimes puzzling path, trying to navigate the line between trendy toons and Dad rock, with no real indicators as to what's what...  Sometimes a band can switch from being cool to being uncool merely because they sell a lot of records.  Look at the case of Razorlight.  Popularity, you see, is Not Hip.  This, however, isn't a hard and fast rule - witness Radiohead's baffling success, for example.

I don't know why it's so, I don't make the rules.

Before we continue, let me state for the record - I love music; many different types of music, both cool AND uncool.  There!  I feel better now that I've got that off my chest.
  
Purchasing terminally unhip music can be more nervewracking than buying condoms as a teenager.  A couple of days ago I was browsing the racks in Zavvi when I came across 'Rhinestone Cowboy - The Best of Glen Campbell' for next to nothing.  Glen Campbell, you see, is Not Cool.  Normally I wouldn't have cared less but the guy at the checkout really was cool.  And hot as hell.  I had to spend the next twenty minutes trying to find something else to buy so that I could sandwich the offending CD between them.  I ended up buying two extra DVD's and spending nigh on £20 instead of the original £3 that the CD cost.

Altogether now...'Galveston oo Galveston...'   

No comments: